Magharibi

“Everyone in the plane” Phil said yawning. The small aircraft roared into life soaring like an awkward bird into the sky. Stunning views of untouched sweeping savanna took Maxine’s breath away. She was passionate about her family’s African wildlife sanctuary.

Phil played lazily with the cockpit controls daydreaming, while his sisters planned where they would land to observe wildlife. They had not been flying long, when without warning an explosion rocked the small aircraft. Thick smoke filled the cabin. The engines ceased and Maxine heard Phil shouting the coordinates of their location into the radio, as the aircraft plummeted to the ground.

Regaining consciousness Maxine cautiously moved her body. She called out to Johanna and Phil but they did not answer. Feeling battered and bruised, Maxine searched the plane and found no signs of her siblings. She grabbed her backpack and climbed out of the damaged fuselage, just before it burst into flames.

Maxine stared in disbelief at the charred remains of the plane wreck for some time. Fear engulfed her as night time came and with it a sense of vulnerability she had not experienced before. Reassuring herself she thought ‘Help will come. They know our location. I just need to rest.’

At sunrise Maxine awoke to her hair being tugged. A cheetah cub backed away startled as Maxine moved. “Hey cheeky” she said softly, slowly reaching to stroke him. The cub responded playfully pouncing on her hand and nibbling her fingers. Maxine gently stretched her stiff painful limbs while carefully surveying her surroundings. The cheetah cub appeared to be alone. They played together in the morning sunlight, losing track of time. Her newfound friend’s antics lifting Maxine’s spirits.

Rising to her feet Maxine noticed the midday sunlight glistening on water nearby. She walked in the direction of the water with the cub padding alongside. A short while later they thirstily drank from a watering hole at the base of a rocky outcrop. The cheetah cub climbed on to the rocks and disappeared into a cave. Maxine listened but could not hear the usual greeting sounds of a coalition of cheetahs. The cub reappeared, his gentle eyes beckoned her to follow him into the cave. It was an ideal shelter from the midday heat. Still exhausted from her ordeal she laid down on the cool floor with the cub alongside.

Maxine woke up feeling refreshed. The cheetah cub was sitting at the mouth of the cave silhouetted against the blood orange sunset. Maxine felt safe with her new companion. Smiling she rose and walked over to him. Stroking his head she said “I don’t know where our families are or if we’ll ever see them again but we’re not alone if we have each other. I will call you Magharibi. That means sunset.” She whispered as she hugged him.

They wandered outside together and watched the sunset lights dancing on the ground. “Is that a plane I can hear Magharibi? Do you hear that?” she shrieked excitedly.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!