Never Swimming Again!

“Remember to put on sunscreen!” I heard mum shout. I raced to the sand flipping my thongs off and took a moment to feel the soft, cold, white glistering sand melt between my toes. I raised my head again and toddled forward a bit and scanned the beach to find my friend. Close to the water’s edge I was splashed with the freezing, salty sea water. I looked up to see a familiar face but the actual beauty of the sea astounded me! The sparkling was tiny aqua diamonds shining and dancing right before my eyes. “A gorgeous day,” Sami shouted for the world to hear. I threw my head up to the sky and noticed a pale blue magnificent sky with not a cloud in sight. I fell lazily backward into the water.
We’d planned to go snorkelling so found rental boats. It took forever to jog to the boat shed but when we arrived we were surprised at how cheap it was to hire. We found a change room and were thankful it was so close! After a lesson on using the boat and off and what to do in an emergency, we dressed in our snorkelling gear, hopped in the boat and rode out into the beautiful blue sea.
It was perfect! The water was as clear as a looking glass so with relief I jumped into the ocean but noticed the sky looking a bit ominous. Diving down I met the eyes of fish and thought I heard a boat motor start. It didn’t take long to realise it was my friend who was driving away. I swam to the surface and was struck by dark clouds dropping their cargo, I gasped for air and was smashed immediately by waves. Tossed around by a strong wind, more waves rose from the sea half drowning me. The sky darkened to grey quickly with rain pelting down. I sought any form of rescue and saw my dear friend and a rope hanging from the boat. I battled the constant waves to reach the rope. No use. The boat drifted perilously further away. Tears stung me, or was it sea water? I could see the boat in the distance bit it seemed to stop and—SINK!!! With all my strength I swam and saw my friend screaming for help. From nowhere a surge of energy pushed me forward toward her. She could barely breathe. Holding her and swimming at the same time was almost impossible. As a wave dipped, I glimpsed land. Hours of struggling through a dying storm I could finally see home hope. At last with panting breath and worn bodies we collapsed onto the shore.
The worse was still to come, telling the boat company their boat was gone but fortunately insurance covered our disastrous adventure.
“Had a nice time?” asked mum as I jumped in the car.
“You have no idea…” I replied wearily, “But I’m never swimming AGAIN!!!”

By Samantha Pauliuk

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!