Mackenzie's Big Change

Dear diary
I really hope I get to see Dad soon he doesn’t call anymore. Australia is just too far away. Tomorrow I’m going to tell Mum I want to go and visit him. It is so gloomy and wet here. I hate it. It reminds me of when Mum and Dad separated. Apparently Australia has the best beaches. It is not freezing cold like here in the Netherlands. Dad used to call me his ‘Snug bug’ or Mac, not Mackenzie as mum continues to call me, even though I told her it sounds like she’s asking for a biscuit. How do I tell her? She will be distraught, but she just has to let me go… she just has to! Just because she doesn’t like him, doesn’t mean I don’t like him.
I walk into my mum’s room I take a big breath. “What’s wrong” mum said softly. “You’re not going to like this but I want to go and visit Dad in Australia,” I blurt out. “C’mon Mackenzie, you know what he’s liked and I thought you liked it here,” she cried. “Mum, I need to find out for myself what’s going on with him.”
“I’ve been dreading this, but knew it was coming. I could see you haven’t been happy for ages. Just promise me that you’ll come straight back if it doesn’t work out.”
Dear Diary
I’ve just left Mum with tears flowing like a river. Will my dad still be the same? Will I see Mum again? Have I made the right decision?
As I arrive at the airport a familiar face comes up to me and says, “What are you wearing? It is 40 degrees and you’re wearing jeans and a snow jumper!”
DAD!!!!!!!!
“I am really glad you’re here I have really missed you” “I have missed you as well, why didn’t you call?”
“I was afraid you would ask me this, I have been seeing someone for a few months now and I am going to move in with her” What is her name?” “Lexi” I was going to ask you if you want to meet her for lunch tomorrow. “Sure if you want!” I said but I wanted to yell at him no way.
As dad and I walk into the restaurant, he stops dead in his tracks and the colour drains from his face, and I guess the person he is starring at is Lexi. She was busy kissing and holding hands of another man.
Without saying a word we leave the restaurant, and head home the silence in the car was deafening. A really felt for Dad! At home I didn’t know what to say, luckily there was a knock at the door.
“Mum!!!!! What are you doing here?”
“I am here to do something I should have done a long time ago”. She runs to Dad, kisses him once, twice, but the third time it was dad kissing Mum.
I say “WOW!!!!! What was that” both together they say, “That was something we should have done a long time ago.”
Dear Diary
Australia is sure the lucky land, living in Australia is just amazing, Mum, Dad, me and of course our new addition to our family, a baby brother Jack. I am so glad I asked if I could visit Dad, Family together forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!