Facing Fears

I woke up to the smell of smoke. As I jumped out of bed I couldn’t see anyone around. Whoosh!! I saw a shadow move in the corner, but then it was gone. Hmmmm, I kept smelling something. Something that could have come from the toilet. I opened the door to find out what it was. Suddenly, a dark black shadow came from all around. It took the shape of a tall male with long bony fingers. AAAAAHHHHHHH!!! I was so scared!!
All of a sudden, I heard this noise from my mum’s room. I crept up to her room. As I pushed the door open I saw there was blood all over the place! On the walls, on the bed, it’s everywhere! I had to leave right away!
Outside, the wind was howling and the rain was bashing on the house. It felt like the house was going to fall down.
“Oh no! It did fall down! NOOOOOOOOOO!!! Where am I going to live? I have no friends as they all have left me in this haunted place. I’m doomed!”
I screamed for help until my throat was raw, but no-one heard me. I ran to the neighbour’s but they said I couldn’t come in. I was so freezing. I had no money for clothes. No money for food. I was going to die!
As I started walking along the rocky pathway, wondering what was to happen to me, I came across a kind looking older lady. She saw that I was worried and so she asked what the matter was. We sat down on the wobbly seat and I told her what had happened. After I retold my story, the old lady gave me a hug to steady my nerves. She told me that everything was going to be ok and that I just have to find the golden key that was hidden in the haunted house. I needed to face my fears and my nightmare would soon be over, and I would be back where I belong.
After thanking the lady, I was back on my way. I wandered through the dimly lit streets into the park, and then after fighting my way through the bushes, I found the haunted house. Now, where was that key? I searched everywhere I could imagine a golden key would be. Two hours went past when I finally found it. Yes! Now to face my fears. What was waiting for me behind that door? As the key turned in the lock, my stomach felt like a million butterflies were flying around. Slowly I opened the door. To my surprise my mum was on the other side waiting for me with open arms and a huge smile. I felt like the luckiest kid in the world.
Suddenly, a bright light flashed in my face. My mum had entered my room and flicked the light on. “Diaz. Time to get ready for school!” Phew! It was all just a dream.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!