A Different View

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

The streets were bustling with people, the noise becoming music to my ears. People were running to work, briefcases swinging in their grip. The crowded shops were frantic with the post Christmas sales. Cars were zigzagging through the traffic, while the lights flickered different colours. The place was lit with colour, it was so lively and active, like hundreds of bees swarming around their hive.
I felt elated, hearing the buzz of the city, watching the people dodge and weave through the crowds. I smiled at the sight of crazy shop-workers assisting the consistent flow of the eager customers, pointing to this and that. Their stock was disappearing fast. My eyes wandered, scanning the activity of 5th Avenue. My footsteps were muffled among the clatter of the surroundings, as I continued to walk.
The sun was beginning to descend below the skyscrapers, and soon darkness covered the sky. The colourful lights illuminated the streets. All of a sudden, I looked up. I stared in awe, at the huge building that stood before me. I felt absolutely tiny gazing up at it, so majestic and powerful. After a few long moments at staring at the skyscraper, there was a rush of excitement, like I couldn't be happier.
"Come on, we are going in," Dad said, out of the blue. I instantly snapped out of my trance and followed my family through the doors into the building.
Are we going up? I asked myself, and before I knew it we were in the elevator.
The elevator jolted and began to climb. A thrilling sensation bubbled inside me, I couldn't stop smiling. Quick as a flash, the elevator doors opened and seemed to beckon us out into the open. The noises below were unheard and the quiet chatter of the people became the background in my mind. The night was clear, no roof and only blackness was above. Below was a different story.
I stepped across the top of the building to the glass barrier. It seemed like I was a bird watching over the city. My eyes looked downward upon millions of lights, all twinkling at their brightest. I could see tiny cars weaving here and there on the busy roads below. I looked out across the whole city. It was beautiful. It was like I was on top of the world, the queen of the land. I was the luckiest person in the world. There are no words to describe how amazing it felt. I looked out once more, over the city. This was New York.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!