Too Late

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

The wind howled murderously, rain bombarded down on the window pane, thunder made the ground tremble and lightning struck recklessly. It continued on like it would never stop. News reports had informed us about the severe weather and how long it would last but nobody believed that is was true.
It all commenced with a luminous day, the warmest day in winter, but the T.V was still buzzing with news reports stating that the storm was yet to come. Everyone neglected it, completely. Nobody considered it after they erroneously forecasted rain in a previous drought.
Dad and I peered out the window and observed the broad grey clouds advancing our way. The news had mentioned that the storm had already struck a town adjacent to us and in a short period of time dams had started to burst. We started to panic and wished we had evacuated earlier… but it was too late.
I shrieked as I noticed water spilling in from beneath the door. Mum anxiously scrambled down the stairs wondering what the matter was. I explained to her that there was water inundating the house. I was petrified, so was mum. What were we to do?
Mum tried to ring the S.E.S but they didn’t pick up. It was too late, and too dangerous to go out and find them. I turned on the radio to see if we could get some advice… but it only sounded like a swarm of flies flying… there was no signal.
We all ran upstairs and discussed the complication and what the solution was and then spontaneously got to work. My brother placed towels near the door so it would absorb all the water, then pounded his fist against the towels to keep it firm and while he was doing that dad desperately started bucketing water out of the house. It was exhausting, but we couldn’t rest until darkness had spread.
The next day was frantic, still. The weather was horrendous, the wind was ferociously howling and the rain pelted down. Water flooded into the room even more and the mat was now saturated. I started to fret and assume that the storm would last for eternity.
I glanced out the window and saw something incandescent in the sky. I gawked at it, awestruck, what was it? Could it be the sun?
I squealed with delight as mum, dad and my brother ran over wondering what was wrong. Then we all started shouting, “it’s gone! The storm is over! Now we can go outside!”
We ran outside and examined the damage. Trees had collapsed into thick, brown mud and branches were dispersed everywhere, but everything was alright. We didn’t care about the destruction; all we cared about was that we were safe and that we were all together.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!