One Mistake

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

It was all dark and silent except for the quiet drizzle of rain in the streets of Sydney as Liam Erwin drove to work. He yawned as he tried to keep his drooping eyes open. He didn’t get enough sleep last night and all of his limbs ached.
Suddenly his phone began to ring, fully waking him up.
He picked it up and said gruffly: “Hello, who is it?”
An urgent female voice answered” Hello. I am Rebecca Tucker from Liverpool Hospital. I would like to inform you that your neighbour Jared Webster got into a brawl and is severely injured. He is in need of blood. Unfortunately, he has a very rare blood type. I have searched on the database and you are the only one in South West Sydney that has the same blood type. His blood is O Negative.”
“So…what are you trying to say?” he asked. “What has this got to do with me?”
There was silence and then Rebecca said “What I am trying to say is that I would really appreciate it if you would come to the hospital now for a transfusion.”
He cleared his throat and said in an awkward tone “Um…Sorry Rebecca but I don’t think I can make it”
He was abruptly cut off by a hysterical voice “Liam, I have known you for a very long time. Please help my son.”
It was his elderly neighbour.
Now he was very uncomfortable.
He was trying to decide what he should do.
If he didn’t go to the hospital Jared could possibly die, but... If he went to the hospital he wouldn’t be able to go to work and that could get him fired, possibly ruining his future.
It was a no brainer, really.
He decided on the former.
His job was more important than anything to him.
He rushed out his next words “Sorry, but I will be of no use to you right now, I have to get to work, Goodbye.”
Without looking away from the windscreen he threw his phone on to the passenger seat but it fell onto the floor with a clatter.
He huffed in annoyance and reached down to pick it up, momentarily looking away from the road.
He heard the terrible noise before he felt the car twist and crumple around him.
As the vehicle slid to a halt, he felt his head where blood was now oozing from his hairline.
As he touched it, the ooze became a gush. He started to feel weaker as each second dragged past.
Suddenly a thought struck him.
He looked down at the blood dripping onto his hand.
His rare, very unique blood.




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!