They Dug Too Deep...

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition


"They never learn...
They've dug too deep...
Again..."

It was an 'ordinary' day in the mines, the dwarves continued to dig busily. But little did they know, this was no ordinary day... This day will be remembered in all of history...as the destruction of the Dwarven Empire...

It all started with a group of five dwarves, digging simultaneously going deeper and deeper, determined to find fortune and fame. The temperatures grew hotter and hotter, but the pack continued to persevere, despite the rising temperatures. The air inside became hot and musty as the dwarves took heavy breaths while digging with haste. A muffled voice whispered into their ears "Turn back..." They continued, ignoring the warning. "Your arrogance will be your undoing!" The voice said, louder and clearer.

One of the dwarves spoke out "Did ye all 'ere that?" The middle dwarf asked. "Aye!" The rest exclaimed. "Some sort o' warning." The further most dwarf to the left added in. "We've come this far! We will not stop for some stupid warning!" The middle dwarf exclaimed.

They all continued to dig, until they came across a dark red substance of some kind. "Is it treasure?" The furthest dwarf to the right asked. "Nah! Looks like some sort o' mould, or fungus!" The left dwarf said. "What ever it is. Take it back to the hold!" The middle dwarf instructed.

They dug through it and transported the fragments into a mine-cart which took it back to the hold for further examination. They continued, until suddenly, they broke into a series of cave systems with an abundance of magma pools. They explored the series of caves till one of them suddenly called out; "Gold! We found it lads!" They all huddled around some sort of golden shrine in the centre of a circular cave system, oddly symmetrical on both sides.

All five of them agreed to dig out the shrine, but as one of the dwarves struck the golden structure, it began to get hotter and hotter. Magma started to erupt from the pools of magma, splashing lava everywhere. "Who dares awaken the Dakkar!" An angry, echoing voice exclaimed. "And worse, attempt to destroy the sacred alter?!" The voice continued, furious with anger.

Magma started to flow of the pools and form humanoid figures which had nothing below the waist, whom just seem to be suspended in midair. Each with its own bright red eyes, burning with anger and fury. Hundreds of figures staring, each with their eyes fixed on the pack of dwarves. "Today you will die! Each and every last one of you! You have dug too deep! Once again! You dwarves never learn!" The voice exclaimed again, furious with anger and hatred.

...It was over...

The dwarves were burnt to a crisp... Their mountain strongholds crumbled as the Dakkar drowned them all in blazing hot magma... Some dwarves that managed to survive the attacks built small towns, yet again to be destroyed by the Dakkar...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!