The Racer And The Bookworm

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

Once a long time ago, two people who were enemies, abandoned their children to a lost rain forest. These two children were immensely different. For one was a total bookworm and the other child was a racer (he didn’t actually race, he is just into racing). Now I shall tell you what their journey is like with no supplies. That’s right, you heard me, they had nothing.
That very night it was cold, wet and dangerous. Ellie, the bookworm was making a shelter out of warm, dry moss, sticks and stones. Jackson, the racer, was wondering what she was doing. “Now let’s rev up me engine, turn the speed to 280 km/h and get SEARCH’N!” screamed Jackson.
“NO! Not yet Jackson! We need a good night’s sleep then in the morning, we search for water, food, supplies etc.” exclaimed Ellie.
“OK. It just seems awkward sleeping with a girl, you know” said Jackson.
“Well would you prefer sleeping with a girl or getting eaten by an animal such as lion, tigers, bears etc?” Ellie told Jackson.
“OK, OK, I will sleep with you and please, enough with the etc.” said Jackson. “Fine,” Ellie said.
The next morning, Ellie found some non-toxic berries she had read in, ‘How to Know If Wild Fruit Are Poisonous’ by Amanda Rowling. She ate one and they were DELICIOUS!!! Meanwhile, Jackson was actually helping for once. He was making torches to keep nocturnal animals away from the shelter, which was surprisingly waterproof. Ellie brought back the berries and Jackson had found a rusty pan from explorers who had been here. “WOW! Jackson you are really good at this!” Ellie exclaimed.
“Thanks! I like gathering things for people. Besides, being here is fun, but I wish I was back at home with my mum,” said Jackson sadly.
“But they are probably doing this to protect us from the war between our parents,” Ellie said to Jackson, comfortingly.
“Yeah I guess so,” Jackson said, before filling his empty belly with berries.
“WHO ARE YOU?” yelled Jackson. Ellie thought that he was in danger and came to his aid.
“What is it Jackson?” Ellie said. Then she realised. There was another boy, about thirteen.
“Hello! What yeh doing here? Oh by the way I’m Frank, and I’m an orphan.”
“Oh hi Frank I’m Ellie and this is Jackson.” Ellie nudged Jackson, who was staring at him with his mouth wide open.
“Do you lads want me to teach you how to make a raft to sail ‘ome or are you orphans like me?” Frank said.
“NO! NO! Please teach us how to make a raft PLEASE!!!” Ellie cried.
“Okay,” Frank said.
So sooner than three weeks Ellie and Jackson were at home, and their parents decided to stop fighting and Frank was allowed to come home with Jackson.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!