I Lose

I Lose

I look at myself lying in bed and see nothing but ugly. A single tear runs down my face as I wonder how I can ever survive. My heart is an anchor, dragging me down to the bottom of a deep dark ocean. My mother sits in the chair beside my bed, her face tense and lined. How many days has she sat there, I have lost count. I imagine my funeral as if it is happening now. Me laying there in the cold coffin, blaming myself for not living a full life. I like to think of myself as the strongest woman alive, standing tall and proud, but I’m kidding myself and I know it. I am in my skeleton body, starving. My mind won’t let me eat. I am trapped in my head and in this hospital. A drip desperately pours liquid food into my emaciated, pathetic body. I am a prisoner, locked up in a hospital ward. The nurse arrives with yet another small plate of food, trying to tempt me. What a waste of her time. I am petrified. What is on that plate? She insists I hold the fork and look at the disgusting egg. I am so weak. The fork feels like a heavy axe. Will my wrist bones shatter in to a million pieces? I cannot move the fork. I remind the nurse angrily “I cannot and will not eat” She takes the plate and walks away. I slowly drift into sleep wondering what the next nightmare will be. In one hour the Doctor will come and weigh me. My heart aches. It feels like life or death. I so desperately want to escape this situation. I want a normal life more than anything in the world. I cannot eat but I pray that the liquid food oozing into my veins will save me. I hear the doctor’s footsteps enter my room. I open my exhausted eyes. My body is freezing and I’m going to be sick. “Hi. Stand up” says the Doctor. I do as he asks. As I struggle to stand, I look down at my legs, they are skin and bone, every outline of every bone so obvious to see. I start shaking, my legs cannot hold me upright. This is the moment of truth. I slowly step onto the scales. I am weak…weak… the room starts spinning, faces and furniture blur. My knees buckle under me. I hear a loud crack. What is that? My head has smashed into the cold hard tiled floor. I lay there, hearing nothing but my mother’s screams “Zoe…Zoe…Nooo….” The heart monitor beeps slowly fade far off into the distance until I hear nothing more. I am gone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!