Tag

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

I ran. My legs felt as if they could fall off at any moment. My lungs were burning inside my chest. I hadn't run this hard or fast ever, but I pressed on. Fuelled by adrenaline and fear, I sprinted through the forest. Thorns and twigs scratched against my body, and I could soon feel trickles of blood on my face. It stung, but I knew that this pain was nothing compared to what I’d get if I slowed down.
I could hear the footsteps behind me. I could hear the ragged gasps of my pursuer. I could feel hot breath on the back of my neck. Fear was constantly shooting through my body.
I was terrified.
I ran and ran, not daring to close my eyes for one moment, as that could be the one moment I was caught. The tears leaking out of my eyes were keeping them stable, but even so I could feel the itch as they began to dry out.
I could hear the loud noise of the road just up ahead, on the outskirts of the forest. Just a bit further and I’d be there. Safe.
I put on my last spurt of speed, and made towards the road.
I blinked.
I tripped.
I fell.
I landed hard on my stomach, my foot caught in a thorn bush. I twisted round, and the thorns scratched my ankle. I let out a cry of pain, which was soon silenced as I saw the sight before me.
My pursuer was standing over me; its shadow blocking the sun. The air became icy, and I shivered in both cold and fear. There was no hope for me now.
The dark shadow which had been chasing me tipped its head back and let out a psychotic laugh.
It reached down, one hand outstretched towards me. I tried to scramble backwards, but my foot was still stuck.
The hand was centimetres away from my chest.
It came closer…
“Tag! You’re it!” It prodded my chest. I groaned and leaned back onto the ground, cursing under my breath. The shadow helped me remove my foot from the tree root.
“Start counting!” He chuckled, scampering off. I sighed and counted slowly to ten seconds.
“Ready or not, here I come.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!