Our Last Day

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

I remember losing her like it was yesterday, her face, her laugh, her love for me. Life was perfect, healthy kids, loving wife, booming business, I never realised how quickly that could change. “Beep, beep,” the sound of New York City traffic had woken me at the glimpse of sunlight which was beaming against Natalie’s face. Another beautiful day in the big apple, 9th September, 2001. Her long brown hair, sparkling blue eyes, all my dreams had come true. Seven months pregnant with our third child, Natalie wanted to leave work a few weeks before she was due, to prepare for the baby.
“Last day,” she said as she felt my stare as she slept. “One more day at the world’s biggest Trade Centre, we never realised it would be our last day together. Shower, breakfast, work. As she was about to leave when something didn’t feel right, something told me to hold her tight and never let her go. My gut was telling me to convince her to stay, call in sick at work, but this was Natalie, she wouldn’t miss a day of work unless the world had a major crises. “I love you!” was all I managed to say,
“I love you too!”, and she was gone.

I turned to my watch, the time read 7.24am, that’s weird she’s never normally this early, she doesn’t start until 9am. I grabbed my phone, dialled her number, “Ring, Ring.”
“Hello, Louis, is this you, did you miss me already.”
“Yeah, it’s me, ah, you know it’s only half past seven right, you don't start ‘till 9.”
“Yeah, the girls at work are throwing me a goodbye party and wanted me to get there early”
“Oh okay then, just don’t forget, I love you to the top of the World Trade Centre and back.”
“Well I love you to the top of both towers and back”. Love you, bye,” I stayed holding on to her last note. I felt a little tired, and seeing that today was my day off I slowly fell asleep watching ‘Today’. I dosed off at about 8am. When I woke I think it probably would have been better that I stayed asleep, forever. “Twin Towers down,” “Pearl harbour of New York City,” “Hijackers to blame.” This was a lot to take in after napping for an hour. “Okay, terrorist attack, Trade Centre, Natalie, hijackers, wait Natalie, she was at work, she was in the Trade Centre, she’s underneath that rubble" I thought. I ran, as fast as I could, a tear started to roll down my cheek through my sweat. As I ran along the street clouds of smoke begun to ingulf the sky above me. I turned to what used to be Natalie’s workplace I could see her being dragged out by a rescue officer. “She’s my wife,” I yelled.
Her eyes met mine for a moment.
“I love you to the top of both towers and back!” and she was gone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!