Illusion

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition


The rustling of leaves wakes me up from my trance. My head jerks up just in time to feel the faint breeze that caused this commotion. A leaf- picked up by the wind traveled over to where I was sitting. It's shades of red and orange ripple as I watch, making it seem like fire. I sigh, the simple sound echoing. In this part of the world, there is silence everywhere. Untouched by human corruption. In spring, it is gorgeous- the trees dotted with flowers and blossoms.
Sometimes the silence is overwhelming. It makes me feel insecure- as if someone is watching. I look behind me often for any sign of human civilisation. There is the road of course, but hardly anyone comes down here. No reason to. There is nothing here- just bare trees and a lone cottage where I live. Every time I walk down the road, I look at the deep creases etched in. I wonder what caused them. Sometimes I hear a great thudding from the distance and I bolt behind the nearest tree. For every glimpse I catch, there is the fear of being found. They are strange sights for sure: humans on animals, carrying strange things they hit the animals with. No, it is better to remain hidden, away from the unusual humans.
Sometimes the silence is beautiful, once you get use to it. Misty mornings and golden sunsets. It's a little lonely here, but the trees have become my family, the birds my friends. Although sometimes, I wish for a companion. Someone who I can whisper all my secrets to, and that someone can whisper back and comfort me. Someone I can play with and tell about the mysterious road. Someone I can bring to my secret hideouts. Someone I can swim with in the lake. Someone I can climb trees with. Someone I can touch the stars with. Someone with whom I can dream of escaping this endless illusion. Someone I can make part of my life.

Just Someone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!