Looking Into My Dreams

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

The valley was as enchanting as the last time I visited my dreams. I walk along the ornate path, made from a variety of leaves of different colours, different shapes, and different sizes. Yet, no matter how unique each one looked, they still manage to link together in one perfect path, like a complex yet intriguing jigsaw puzzle. The leaves were leading me further and further into the forest, luring me closer and closer to my innermost thoughts. I’m usually not that scared to find a creative way out of any maze, but the leafy path and the little spot of light seemed so welcoming, and the surrounding trees looked so daunting that I was compelled to follow this path. I was finally led to a clearing, a small opening in the mysterious forest. Even though the forest looked abandoned from the outside, the clearing was teeming with wildlife.
There were mingling squirrels, exotic birds with plumes that shined with all the colours of the rainbow. But the real eye-catcher was the trees. The clearing was alienated from the rest of the forest by vibrant cherry blossom trees, the pink petals moving in a synchronised motion around the forest, like they were being guided by an unseen hand. They sped around me, and soon I was in the eye of a magnificent, pink tornado. Just when I thought I’d grow dizzy of watching this unnatural display, the torrent of leaves slowed down, and eventually continued their fluttering pattern of moving from side to side, before eventually resting on the floor. And suddenly a strong wind came through yet another opening in the forest, buffeting me with a powerful yet strangely comforting force. It was beckoning me towards my final destination.
I finally reached the highlight of my reoccurring dream, the river. I crouched beside the rock bed, staring at myself through the reflective surface. I never quite understood this river, or any river, to be exact. Whenever I try to touch my replica, my hand always goes through the surface, sending ripples throughout the clear, sparkling water. This is when I break free from the hypnotic trance, dazed, as I struggled to regain my train of thought. As beautiful as this river was, I knew that it was the gateway that would lead me back to reality. I struggle to resist the call of the river, but there was no point. I felt my legs move, being graciously led by my subconscious mind, and I eventually sank down into the river. I dived deeper down to the murky darkness, before feeling the tingling sensation envelope me. It was time to go. I turned back to the surface, now a considerable distance away, and allowed myself to be propelled through the water, the surface growing closer and closer, until-
I jumped out of bed, feeling the adrenalin rush kick into my system. I check the clock, just to confirm my fears. I had overslept again. Mum was going to kill me…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!