Innocence

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition


The boy stood in the rain, his new, shiny black shoes getting soaked with the now wet earth. For some reason his father insisted that he wore black today. He didn’t like wearing black. The young one preferred wearing blue or red instead- like the shirt with his favourite car on it. Black reminded him of the night monsters that came out in the dark while he was trying to sink into sleep. Only huddling up against his mother could make those creatures go away.

On that note where was his mother anyway? He hadn’t seen she had fallen asleep that day.
He bet that if his mother was here, she wouldn’t make him wear these dingy clothes.

Around the boy was a sea of people, all sporting the same, dull clothes. Just by looking at them, the boy knew something was hurting them. Some had sobs and some with shadowy eyes full of grief. Some clung onto each other, some stood off the corner, to deal with their own pain. Their emotions and reactions reminded the boy of when he lost his favourite stuffed bear.

He wondered if these people had lost something too.

A wet, large hand entwined with his tiny gloved one. Soundlessly, the little boy glanced upon to see a man, who looked very much like him. At least, that was what his mother liked to say. The boy still couldn’t see the resemblance though; how could something so towering and big be in any way similar to something as small and timid as him?
The orbs that meet his was emanating with pain, and filled to the brim with water.

For a second, a flash of surprise crossed the boy’s face. Was his father…crying?

Of course not. It must be the rain water in his eyes.

His father never cried.

“…Daddy?” the boy ask, curious and a tiny bit afraid.

The man bit his lip and his face contorted with anguish

The grip he had on the boy's hand tightened a little harder.

"..I promise...to do my best...to look after you."

"You already are Daddy! So is mummy!"

Letting out a slight whimper, the boy's father looked towards the sky.

"Yes...she really is."

And there stood the two males, as together they looked into the horizon, one burdened with engulfing pain and loss and the other with childish innocence, as a single ray of light swept through the dark pastel clouds.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!