Post WWIV Time Travel

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

Dr Manus knew her time machine would work the instant it was created. The year at the time was 2258, and technology was advancing in leaps and bounds. But so was war—the ultimate incentive to innovate, recreate and improve upon existing tech. Every upgrade led to thousands of saved lives or millions of deaths. All it took to take a life was the press of a button. Dr Manus knew that all the wasted lives were not worth it, that the wars will continue until the very end, when the defeated nation’s dead man’s switch is triggered and the world plunges into the inner realms of hell.
Manus was against the clock.
Behind enemy lines, in the old particle accelerator in Geneva, with the enemy soldiers knocking at her door; she had to re-program the bulky, car-sized time machine into the exo-skeleton she borrowed from special operative David Khan, the commander of this highly sensitive mission. He had his back against the wall, looking out of place next to the two other soldiers under his command, them well armoured with heavy plasma weapons that glowed blue, and Khan; short and stocky in his black nanoweave under armour, wielding a duel Tungsten - firing black and orange machine pistols. Echoes of sizzling super-heated Tungsten bullets came from outside the airtight room. “They know about the machine”, Helen thought, realising that there’s no way they would send in such a large strike team otherwise. The room shook violently as a result of heavy plasma mortars. The abundance of pipes lining the room vibrated, leaking blue liquids onto the ground. Looking down at her timer, it read 40 seconds. 40 seconds until the end of humanity — or millennia of peace.
Dr Helen Manus was out of place in the militaristic Israeli secret agency MOSSAD, only turning to them for the funding of her research, in return for counter-offensive weaponry to use against the now-corrupt superpowers; the allied China and America (USC) and the rogue splinter-terrorist organisation ISIS, which grew in power tremendously during WWIII. Most of the rest of the world was not unlike what the Middle East was like during the early 21st century.
Bang!
Zap!
K-chunk!
Helen tightened her grip on her make-shift heat ray.
30 seconds.
Helen shifted around in the uncomfortable machinery.
20 seconds.
Super-heated Tungsten bullets sizzled from around the corner and screams echoed from the first line of defence as the bullets melted straight through their mesh suits. Khan fired first but in vain, as his bullets ricocheted off their superior armour. Returning fire followed, their super-heated projectiles gliding through his thin nanoweave and flesh like a knife through butter. The other two soldiers met a similar fate, their blood splattered onto the chemical, causing an explosive reaction.
5 seconds.
Manus closed her eyes as a fierce soldier walked towards her raising his weapon, thinking of the Islamic state she could have created with this time machine.
Too late. The room exploded, freedom prevailed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!