Golden Fur

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

I watched the shadow of an animal move across the wall of my tent, I couldn't yell for my parents because my voice had disappeared I was frozen in fear, and the night was so quiet that the only thing I could hear was my own heart thumping. I clutched my pillow tight. The animal poked its head in and I saw what had been stalking me since I got here.
My heart stopped. I blinked multiple times. The animal started to slowly enter the tent, its chocolate brown gaze locked with my forest green one. Its fur shone gold as it came into the light of the lantern beside me. In my tent it had to curve its body so it could fit into the small space, when it did I saw the black tiger stripes running down from the top of its back down to the starting of its tail, the tail was like a kangaroo’s, not exactly straight but not exactly curved either.
The animal inched closer towards me, interest in its eyes. It stretched its head forward, its nostrils flaring in a sniff as its nose started gliding up my arms. Its warm breath made my hairs stand up.
Its nose reached my face, when it did it moved its head closer, now only centimetres from my cheek. I gave a small whimper, and I knew that was the last thing I should do in front of a predator, even a curious one, but I didn't like the fact that it was so close to me, it could end my life with a quick tear at my throat with its teeth before I could even let out a scream.
Its erect rounded ears instantly turned towards me, its body completely still. My eyes widened even more and I quickly shut them, afraid of what it would do next. I felt its humid breathing move away... I waited.
It felt like forever but didn't dare open my eyes. But then I felt something press against the palm of my hand, and a small whine. I opened my eyes slowly and saw the animal pressing its head lightly against my hand. It looked up at me with its dark brown eyes, saying silently that it was okay, and be not afraid. I felt myself slowly starting to relax but then there was a shine of light from outside and a grunt. It was my dad. The animal’s head shot up and took one last look at me before bolting out of the tent. I heard a cry from mum and dad swore before chasing after the animal. But it got away, thank god. Dad came back a few moments later and asked if I was okay. I just nodded.
When there was silence I was finally able to breathe and move again. I looked down at the palm of my hand to see a small piece of golden fur that the Thylacine had left.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!