Tall Enough To See

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

Sometimes, just sometimes, I wish that I was tall enough to see. You never know what you are going to be able to see. I hate being stuck down here, always being on the same level as people’s private parts and having to watch people’s feet when I go places. I'm stuck like this though, there’s really not a lot that I can do to change it. Occasionally, I smile and think about the things I see that other people don’t. I find money that people have lost and that instantly becomes something that can make my day, I see things from a different perspective, things from down here seem a lot bigger and intimidating which sometimes makes me feel small, but I'm used to it. People think I'm different. They think that I have something wrong with me. But, they don't understand that I'm the same as them, I'm smart, I'm creative, just… well, I guess, I'm not tall enough.
I feel alone in the city, the big, big city. I make the best of it and cruise around, doing my own thing. There’s a lot to see, lots to hear, lots to taste, lots to enjoy. Every day, I go to a small restaurant in the heart of the city, it will go un-named simply because I would still like to remain their most exclusive customer. I get my favourite take-away meal and head further down town to where my favourite busker plays my favourite frank Sinatra cover. I hang out down town for a while, and then I make my way back before mum comes home.
Often I catch myself thinking about what it would be like to drive a car, or live by myself, or swim without the helping hand of my mother. Having freedom and opportunity to do what I want, what I please, but I guess the restrictions of this wheelchair keep me from some of what I want. I have grown to love what I do and how I live, regardless of how people see me, or how I see them, from down here.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!