Gum-Nut: A Koala Story

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

One day, deep in the bush, all the creatures were very excited because two koalas had given birth to a baby koala named Gum-Nut. Gum-Nut was not an ordinary koala. He did not want to be lazy or sleep all day. He wanted to explore, discover and seek his fortune. As he neared the age of five, he began to prepare to leave his home. O when the day of departure arrived, he promised his parents he would return in three years’ time. Gum-Nut set off. At first there were only trees but then, he saw a car, a road and a human. Suddenly, he realised he had entered an Australian city. Gum-Nut saw that there were gum trees everywhere. He felt a little tired from his massive journey so Gum- Nut climbed a tree and decided this was his new home. In his new home, he felt safe and happy so he quickly fell asleep. When Gum-Nut awoke, he saw a female koala one branch away from him. He climbed over to the other koala and grunted, “Hello. What is your name?” The other koala grunted, “My name is Gum-Leaf. It is spring. May you be my mate?” Gum-Nut replied, “I would be happy to marry you.” Below them, a tourist stopped and stared. Then he started taking photos of the koalas. Gum-Nut turned around and saw the tourist and felt like a star.
A few months later, tragedy struck. Ginormous metal things were destroying all of their beautiful trees. The terrified koalas quickly clambered down the tree. “Where will we go?” grunted Gum-Leaf. Gum-Nut grunted, “Even though I am scared, I remember the way back to where I grew up.” At first Gum-Nut was happy returning 100 days early. Suddenly, they stopped in their tracks. Instead of trees before them, there was a koala sanctuary. With fear, they entered the open door. A human saw them and gave them a check- up and then put the two of them in a Eucalyptus tree. Gum-Nut and Gum-Leaf lived to the happy old age of eighteen.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!