A Wave Away

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

Tabby awoke and rubbed her piercing blue eyes. She dashed to the small window beside her bed and opened it, to the glorious sight of splashing waves. The light breeze blew her wavy, blond beach hair. Tabby had been training her entire Summer for this day, because today was the World Champion Surf Girls Competition! For four years Tabby had been coming second next to a cheating German surfer named Georgia, but this year it was on Tabby’s turf and she was sure she could victoriously win this year. Tabby sprinted to the kitchen and made the same nutritious smoothie she had been making to help her surfing since she was 10 years old. As she got to the last mouthful she remembered that one year Georgia put slime in another surfers surf wax and to look out for her tricks. She then grabbed her blue flower-patterned surfboard from the rusty tin shed and headed for wavy Manly Beach.
Manly beach was chock full of people from around the world carrying flags and cheering national anthems. “Tabitha Paley representing Australia and Georgia Schnitzel representing Germany” called the judges. Tabby’s heart began to race she was even too afraid to wax her board! Tabby noticed Georgia strolling towards her. “God luck, you’re going to need it,” spat Georgia in her German accent. Tabby’s head began spinning with thoughts and emotions, she felt frightened and furious at the same time, and she wondered if she could beat Georgia at her own game.
The impatient judges repeated the call, “Tabitha Paley and Georgia Schnitzel.” Tabby paddled out so slowly that compared to Georgia she was like a snail. She made her pop up and caught up to Georgia, the once cool breeze was much stronger on the waves and it made Tabby feel as free as a bird and believe she could do anything at sea. Just as Tabby was getting calm Georgia flipped her board as she was passing by, but right before Tabby hit the cold sea she forced all her weight towards Georgia’s board and stuck the landing by a morsel! Georgia immediately fell backwards off her board in shock and smashed into the salty waves. Tabby remained shredding on Georgia’s board and rose to the top of a large wave to attempt her legendary open based air. The open based air which she had only ever landed once her entire life was a raging success and everyone on the shore was dazzled by Tabby’s talent.
When the two girls returned to land the scores were being calculated. Tabby couldn’t help but bite her bottom lip as tight as she could. “In third place, Stacy Whitman. In second place… Georgia Schnitzel.” Georgia’s smirk changed to a sulk and she glared at Tabby. “And finally in first place…” the judge’s voice grew louder. “TABITHA PALEY!” The whole beach started cheering, and Tabby had never been more proud.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!