The Miracle Puppy

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

It was a cold winter’s night and a lonely puppy was shivering from the coldness on the sidewalk of Carvington Crescent. This puppy had been through a lot in the past five days, she had been kicked out from her previous owners because a kitten landed on their doorstep and (apparently) was a sweetheart and a gentle loving soul. What a load of rubbish in my opinion, sadly they were only allowed one animal in the house so that’s how I ended up on the streets, relying on rats and birds for food.
I tilted my head up. Something wet fell on my forehead. It had started to rain. I groaned, and slumped my way to the dump where I live, which is a couple of boxes with a small cut out piece of cardboard placed so that I can get in and out. Before I went inside my soggy house, I saw the first star of the night. As bright as ever. This seemed silly in my head, but I did it anyway.
“I wish, I wish magic existed, so I could find a brand new home with owners that actually care for me” I chanted in my head.
For a second everything went blurry, but after a while everything focused again. Where am I? I wondered. I turned around and a huge mansion was sitting right before my eyes. I looked at the front door and sitting straight up was a kitten. This cat must’ve been intelligent seeing as it lunged up and rang the doorbell. A song like tune filled my ears and did that twice. “Oh no!” I thought. “That star led me here. This is MY chance to get a home.” I rushed up just in time to knock the kitten out of the way and do a cute puppy face that nobody could refuse. The door opened and a very lovely couple looked down at her and both said “Awww! So cute!”
“Can we keep her?” exclaimed the lady.
“Definitely” said the man. I lunged into my owner’s arms and licked them all over.
Weeks have passed and my owners have changed my name to Katy. I’m part of the family now and I’ve gotten used to the wide spaced areas. There’s a lot to smell, I can eat WHENEVER I like! Also, there’s a huge backyard to play in. As a bonus there’s a dog park next door. Today I went to the dog park, had a nice crunchy bone with threads of flesh on it, then I had a roll in the mud and finally I had a humongous foamy bubble bath.
I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of lots of whispering. Burglars! I thought. I jumped into action and ran along the main hall and turned right. There they were! I jumped at them and they were gone in a flash. I really am a miracle, aren’t I?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!