Raindrops

Finalist in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

The sun had long since sucked all the moisture out of the ground. The trees blended in with the dirt, their leaves falling silently to the ground every time a breeze sliced a temporary rift in the heat. The birds had all left, even the eagles had traded the plentiful carcases for water. The small town was empty, the houses on the verge of collapsing under the weight of the heat. The paddock fences were trampled down in places, where the livestock that had been left behind had escaped. The cows and sheep had made a futile attempt to find water. Their bodies littered the ground. Nothing could survive the heat. Nothing could escape the whisper of death. Except one old dog.
He lay in the shade of his master’s house, guarding the door. “You guard my house, dog,” he had ordered gruffly before he had set off with the others, “I’ll be back for my valuables.” The dog’s master hadn’t come back.
Surviving only on animal carcases and getting only just enough moisture from them, had left the dog’s ribs sticking out and his skin loose on his frame. He knew he didn’t have long left.
Then one dawn, hope appeared on the horizon in the shape of three white clouds. The dog watched as they came closer, grew bigger and darkened in colour. Only the old, faithful dog saw the clouds cover the sky. Only the dog who had survived against all odds, witnessed the first drops fall from the sky. Hesitant at first, then increasing in strength, the raindrops pounded the dirt, washing away the stink and heat of the drought. Howling for the first time in three months, the dog saluted the rainclouds. He limped into the rain and let the life-giving water run over his dusty coat as he drank from a puddle.
Making his way back to his master’s door, he lay down with a contented sigh. The rain had come. His master would return. His job was done. Laying his head on his paws, he closed his eyes and wagged his tail one last time. It was time to let go.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!