Writers Block

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

I looked at the computer, as I had for the last half an hour. Unlike my usual work, I couldn't get a grasp on what I wanted to write. I had no idea what to do. I was very much a stranger to writers block. I could always conquer a story.
I looked through my previous stories, desperate for some inspiration. I had typed a thousand starters, like all young writers. This was getting really annoying.
Instead of leaving my story there, however, I starred at my screen, waiting for words to magically fly across the textbox. I could be very stubborn when I wanted to be.
I knew this was a very silly idea. Everyone knows the best stories take time. However, I have never been one for patience. I like to get things done.
I looked at the screen. Then an idea sprang to mind.
"The wind pricked at my skin as I flew by..."
Was this the inspiration I needed? Was this what I had been waiting for almost four whole years?
Deep down in my heart, or it was gut instinct, I knew this wasn't the story I needed. as much as I loved angels, that genre wasn't quite working for me.
I backspaced, watching the only good sentence I had written in the past half an hour disappear before my very eyes.
Tears welled. Frustration was one emotion I was most definitely not used to. Usually an easy going girl who never gave up, I wasn't ready for this.
I was on the verge of giving up. As disappointing as it may be to hear, as heart breaking as it is to say, I was so close to closing the tab and saying, "This isn't for me! I'm no writer!" But I know, somewhere in my heart, I would be lying and to give up now would be to give up on all that I have worked towards. So what if I don't get there quite yet? So what if I'm not ready? At least I have the experience. At least I'm trying!
Then I remember how disappointed I had felt last year. Just missing the last competition for last year, there was no way that I was going to miss this year’s competition. So that was it. I had to write something. And inspiration dawned on me. All writers go through challengers on their journeys. Young or old, new or experienced. All writers started somewhere and all writers had come across writers block. Why not relate to the people I know best. The writers. So to all of you who are also at a loss of word's, scribbling on paper or tapping at a keyboard, remember this. We have all struggled at starting and that’s what makes this job so rewarding. Setting aside our challenges and making something of our talents so we can be proud of the mere moment we finish and send what we have written.
I hope you enjoy this story. Because this one is for you!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!