The Mystery Man

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

I don’t know who he is or why he’s following me. His face looks old and weak though he still follows. I sit at my desk when I saw him first, his face was pressed up against the window looking straight at me. He did nothing just stood back and watched, like I was in some kind of movie. The days past and but he still followed. From when I went to sleep to when I woke up, he watched sometimes in a chair, sometimes pressed on the window. I tried not to notice and forget but I would always see him out of the corner of my eye, so one day I decided something…?I went to my room at 9:00 the usual time and turned off the light. I knew he would walk away, so at that moment I climbed out the window onto an old oak tree. I slid down its withered trunk onto the ice-cold grass. I laughed madly at myself thinking it’s just like being a kid again. I wandered down the streets following the mystery man! When he turned I would try not to blow my cover. At last he stopped, at a rusty rubbish bin and he climbed inside. I felt horribly sorry for him but I had to know. I knocked calmly on the bin and waited for a response.?The old man popped his head up and said “what do you want?” in a harsh voice. “I want to know why you are following me?” I demanded. His eyes widened “Brook? Err um may I see your necklace?” His words were soft and calm, so I handed it to him. “Oh sweetheart” he said with a cry. I had no idea how to feel, was he my dad? No he can’t be, my dad died when I was 3. I was so confused. “Let me explain…” he said and he told me the story of how he became like this. The story was so emotional, I can’t believe, my dad, James Jackson, went to live on the streets so my mum could feed me! Tears filled my eyes, blurring my sight. I stepped forward and hugged him tight…?We walked home in silence, not knowing what to say. I was so glad, that every minute I saw him I cried tears of joy!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!