Taming The Wild Ferously

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

“KEVIN HILLBERRY YOU STOP DAYDREAMING THIS MOMENT AND FACE THE FRONT!” Was all I heard exiting my place of imagination and wonder. The voice was a familiar one, like a stern and croaky old crones voice that lingered through my mind like a bad memory. It was miss Ferously, the vice principal at Knoxdent High, the school I am currently enrolled at. She’s a cranky senile citizen that belongs in a retirement home or even a mental institute. She towers over me like an ancient monolith as I am brought to attention by her obnoxious aroma. She’s staring at me now, staring at me with dark, menacing eyes. Those eyes, they make grown men cry, I saw a boy yesterday leaving her office with sad, wet tears pouring down his miserable young face. Ouch was all I could think at that moment. Now she’s turned her unrelenting wrath towards me, of all the people in this class of hooligans she chooses me. Great, I’m definitely getting a detention for this, or a good smack on the wrist. She opens her mouth to speak, to unleash hell upon me just as she would any other poor soul unlucky enough to be caught in her stare. But she hesitates; she explores my eyes, seeing if her outburst frightens me. I stare blankly back at her, waiting for her to take me by the ear and yank me into her den that is the vice principals office. But no, nothing happens, we exchange glances for a good thirty seconds, still nothing, just the peering eyes of my peers. She breaks it by apologizing and rushing out of the now dead silent classroom. Now all eyes are on me, as my classmates comprehend just how I repealed the beast known as Ferously. What do they expect? A victory speech? Well they’re not going to get one. Frankly I don’t even know what I did. Did I mentally punch her in the face? I must have to get such a worrying look from the woman that never cries. Suddenly from the deafening silence, there’s uproar of cheering and applause. Even the teacher, Mr. Petercoat is giving me a smile and nod. They’re acting as though I’ve just won an Emmy or something. Bunch of weirdos, I’ve never understood teenage behavior.one minute they’re all dead silent, next they explode with either angst or a crazy hullabaloo of insanity and laughter.
After the commotion settles down, we all go back to doing our geography work. Some people still glaring at me from time to time but that doesn’t bother me, they’re all suckers anyhow.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!