War Of Kings

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

For years Aloysius and I’ve wanted the throne for emperor and well…you all know what happens when two kings want the same thing. After years of war these were the last miles and we both knew it. It was a game, a game in which one move could mean either one of our deaths.

We’ve stepped over bodies each as keen to win this game of ours. Soldiers who mean no more to us than pawns have died in numbers so vast we’ve lost count. The wise have turned and fled, only a fool would try and get in our way. But this was my time and I was going to be victorious.

War is an ugly thing. You only realise how much you’ve truly lost when it’s over. Aloysius and I finally agreed to meet in person and settle this once and for all. I was going to win through deception.

A King does not kill a King, that’s the rule. It could be the pawns, the bishops, the knights or the queen who take his life but never another King. At the same time, what were rules to a King?

We met on a vast plane. He walked arrogantly towards me. He stopped in front of me. About a meters distance between us. I fixed my gaze on him. His face so similar to mine looked cruel.

What was left of our men stood in rows far behind us. I searched him… He was a fool for bearing no weapon. Yes, a king may not kill another king but one side was always going to cheat the other, you’ve all seen it happen.

It was foolish of him to not even consider that I might break the rules. I brought up the loaded crossbow from beneath my cloak and aimed it at his heart. His eyes widened and his lips moved to form words but before he could say anything I shot him. He fell to the ground. “I’ve won, Brother” was all I said before I faced his army, I could the horror on their faces. A king taking the life of another king was unheard of.

I was going to be emperor, if it meant sending women and children into battle then so be it. His army submitted without hesitation. Did I feel remorse you ask? A murderer does not feel remorse for another murderer.

I walked there a King and walked out an Emperor.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!