Different

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition


People don't like me because I'm different. But what if I'm me and they're all different? What if we live in a world where everyone is different, but only those who stand out can see it? So that's why I've come up with a theory. Pretending cloak. A coat to cover emotions hidden inside us. To replace our pain with a fake smile. But I want to get rid of all that, and bring out the truth in each and every one of you. Bring out the real you.

I get up on the stage of the Town Hall. I take a quick glance and suddenly have second thoughts about this. But I realise that it's just the nerves talking. I clear my throat, this is it. My final chance to change the world...

Hi everybody, I'm Timmy. I am 11 years old and I am a fellow townsfolk. I have come here today to speak to everybody about a serious issue that I have noticed in this dark and forlorn town.

I gulp. As I open my mouth to continue, some rude man shouts out to me. "There is no problem with this town, and stop making up words!" Everyone laughs. Personally I do not get how that is funny. However, feeling confused and highly embarrassed, I go on.

The problem with this town, and many towns around our planet is that there are no smiles. And before anyone interrupts me I'd just like to say that happiness is the key to life. Without happiness, life is dull, forlorn and just horridly miserable! That is our town. How it is now and how it always will be. Unless we make a change...

People don't like me because I'm different. But what if I'm me and they're all different? What if we live in a world where everyone is different, but only those who stand out can see it? So that's why I've come up with a theory. Pretending cloak. A coat to cover emotions hidden inside us. To replace our pain with a fake smile. But I want to get rid of all that, and bring out the truth in each and every one of you. Bring out the real you.

Suddenly the entire hall falls silent. So silent that you could hear a pin drop. Coincidentally, a pin did fall. But that's another story...
I'd like a volunteer. You, with the grey jacket. Every man stands up. They look at each other, perplexed looks on their faces. Thank you all. See what I mean. Everyone wears the same things, acts the same ways. Even pretends to feel the same emotions. But everyone is different, you just need to look past the Pretending Cloak.

Time has cut me short, but I would like to leave these thoughts lingering inside you. I will conclude this with four words, We Are All Different... Goodbye.

We are all different, no matter how similar you think you are...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!