Music To My Ears

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

My hands are gliding up and down the glittering keys with ease and my mind has drifted off into a world of peace, I feel like I am the new and fresh Mozart. My arms are the wings of a swan and my tune is the voice of a robin. Sorry just day dreaming there, I feel more like a boring stone sinking quickly down to the bottom of the ocean. “Daniel!!!! Pay attention! You’re hopeless, there should be a big black F burned onto your forehead. Do you know why?” Boomed Miss Honey. Yes, I know what you’re thinking, no I can’t mind read but I think I might be able to use a little portion of my top notch gambling skills that I got from my grandfather. You are wondering why that monstrous creature is called Miss Honey, well I guess I could tell you. Millions of years ago, well, fine not that long ago actually. In a time where there was no such thing as an I-pod 5, yeah I know. There was actually a time, there also weren’t any I phones, tablets, 3DS, I-pads and remote control objects. [What a time] a tiny girl with huge chocolate brown eyes and long brown hair named Maria Honey skipped down the ancient street singing a tune that sounded like a robin, but sadly her father worked in the mines and her mother died from a dreadful car crash. She remembered screams of terror and blood as she was thrown out of the car, it scarred her forever. Her mum had always said to put on your seatbelt and then that happened, Maria always sat down for a few minutes under a great walnut tree to think why. Why did it happen to her mother, now she lived in an orphanage because her dad had simply sighed and said, “I don’t have time for a filthy child,” but oh, she hated it. Her eyes changed from filled with curiosity to dull grey, eyes that could stare straight through your soul and make you feel like you’re nothing but a speck of dust. Her hair changed from silky smooth, to rough and loaded with deadly knots that will destroy any comb or brush that even dares to come near it. Although that was only the start, she became the naughtiest and meanest girl you’ll ever meet and that is the story of why Maria Honey is the monster she is, even though it wasn’t her fault. Now while I was telling you the dreadful story I had a brilliant thought, the song Maria was singing is the same song I was playing! “I have to go home,” I stutter. Miss Honey glares and motions to the door, I race home and practise all weekend. I come back the next week and play the song with grace and there are tears in Miss Honey’s eyes “That’s music to my ears.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!