The Other Side Of The Phone

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

“FBI, how can we help you?” I never thought I would be on this side of the phone. I have worked for the FBI for the past 6 years and I have never had to call them about a murder. This murder was different because it was my best friend. My best friend who I had known since primary school was gone, dead in front of me. All the evidence I had was one phone call, the last time I would ever hear her voice.
“Hello. This is agent Brooks and I am reporting a murder on the corner of Brooklyn and Carter Street. 24 year old female, name Kelly Cole found dead. Please send an ambulance and police car immediately!”
“Right away Agent Brooks.”

It took them exactly 15 minutes and 16 seconds to arrive at the scene, that’s my OCD speaking. I was always dreading this day, the day I would be the first one at a scene and the one who would have to make that call to the police. I was hoping it would be a stranger, which would be better to cope with and meant I wouldn’t be such a mess, but it had to be Kelly. It couldn’t have been anyone else, out of the billions of people in the world, the killer had to choose Kelly.
I didn’t speak to anyone unless I was asked to that whole time the crime scene was getting set up and cleared. I only used limited vocab those 4 hours.
“Okay”
“Yes”
“No”
“Yes please”
I couldn’t bear it. I didn’t know what to do or say. It was like a nightmare that wouldn’t end. And it never will.
I got asked multiple questions that I would normally be asking other people who have been at a murder scene or near the murder scene but I couldn’t seem to find the right answer. I couldn’t quite figure out what exactly happened. It happened so quickly.
*”RACHAEL! PLEASE HELP ME!”* That’s all I could hear in my head. Over and over again. But the more I replayed it in my head the more detail I heard. I heard muffled voices in the background, laughing. Just more details that could be used to find the killer.
It was now 4 days after Kelly had gone. I still couldn’t cope with everyday things. I had stopped eating, talking and doing really anything. I didn’t know what to do with myself. I know I had to get myself on track again though. I couldn’t just sit around in my pyjamas for the rest of my life. I decided that going to work would help to take my mind off the whole scenario.
‘FBI Chicago’ the sign said out the front of where I worked. I slowly walked up to the door and walked inside. I was just about to sit down in my chair when I was stopped…
“Rachael Brooks. You’re under arrest for killing Kelly Cole.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!