I Remember

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

I remember walking down to the beach, the salty sea air whistling past us. We’d run across the hot sand that felt like burning coals. Then we would run towards the waves. You’d dive straight down beneath the glistening aqua water without making a sound. I’d squeal and scream as icy cold water crashed at my legs.
I remember when you’d push me under and the water as cold as melted ice would fill my nose, mouth and ears. Then we’d both rise to the surface and splutter and gasp for precious air.
I remember the long walks on the beach. Our laughs would fill the air and the small tide would come in and brush against our feet. Then we’d climb the rocks near the end of the beach and sit on top of the grassy, sandy hill. Looking at our footprints in the sand and admiring how far we had come. We’d look out to where the sky meets the sea and at the sun reflecting on the water.
I remember collecting smooth shells from the beach and dusting off the sand like powdered sugar. Then we’d wash our shells in the small waves until they sparkled and gleamed.
I remember building a big sandcastle like we did when we were little. We would work so hard on it. The only sound that could be heard was the faint chatter of people, the squawking of hungry seagulls and the patting sound of our shovels hitting the sand.
I remember running our fingers through the sand, carving our names so everyone would know that we had been there, at least until our names washed away.
Now we’re back in that same situation except now it’s only your name washing away with the waves forever. I wish you’d come back so we could do these things once more. I know that won’t happen no matter how hard I wish because life is kind of like waves. They both break down eventually and it doesn’t matter what you do, because neither can be fixed. But unlike waves, life will always be remembered. And I will always remember you, always forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!