A Knights Tale

Finalist in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

Sir Chris crouched behind the door carefully listening for the monster that guarded the halls. He could hear the floorboards of the Chateau creaking drastically as the hulking beast stormed past. Chris patiently waited to hear the monstrosity fade away to nothingness as it travelled the expansive hallways in search of Chris and the damsel he was guarding, Princess Lily. "Is it gone?" Lily asked.

Chris edged the door open, checked the hallway and then told Lily to follow him. They crept along the trap of a floor that would creak loudly if they weren’t careful. Chris guided Lily to the staircase that would take them to the armoury. Every single step was a risk. Once there, they travelled towards the armoury in order to armour Sir Chris up more effectively and cover up his wounds from a previous encounter with the monster. They clambered over a mountain of glass bottles and broken glass being careful not to misstep and slip down on to the shattered glass throughout the monolith.
Once on the other side they progressed towards the armoury. Once inside Chris had Lily shut the door and listen for the monster as he searched for the armour. After much searching Chris found the piece he needed and slid it over the bruises on his neck and arms.

Suddenly Lily gasped and she ran over to Chris. The wooden door exploded into wooden splinters. As the cloud of sawdust settled the beast immerged. It staggered up to Chris, towering above him, and in one devastating blow launched Sir Chris across the room. The Princess ran past the beast to her tower. Chris struggled to his feet. The creature stepped towards him. Chris noticed a broken glass bottle and in one motion, picked it up and drove it into the monster's leg. The monster let out an ear-piercing roar and goggled at its bloodied, gashed leg. Chris then slipped past the monster and ran upstairs to the Princess. He entered her room and closed the door. He then planted his ear to the door and started listening for the monster. Eventually he heard the door to the Chateau open and slam shut viciously as the monster clearly left.

"Is Daddy gone now?" Lily asked, "I hate when he's like this."
"Yes." Chris answered, "I know Lil' I know. Let's go to school now."

At school that day Chris was called up to give some work to his teacher. In handing it to her his armour shifted and Mrs O'Donnell saw the battle wounds clearly shown below. It was with this confirmation that Mrs O'Donnell finally made the call she had been putting off for ages.
Chris arrived home that day to a welcoming committee of police officers asking questions. Chris would no longer need to don his armour as protection from the beast and his Damsel could freely leave her tower without fear for her safety. Chris took off his armour and hugged Lily. Their daily battle was over.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!