Ted And The Captain


Will had a big toy cupboard in his bedroom. Inside the cupboard there were puzzles, books, games, football and a super kit. There were two special toys. One was a teddy bear and the other toy was a soldier. Teddy had been Will’s first toy. He had slept in Will’s cot at night and he had gone for rides in will’s pram in the daytime. But that was a long time ago. Will was eight now. He didn't want to play with a teddy bear a more. So Ted stayed on the top shelf of the toy cupboard, alone. He was skinny and his fur was scruffy. He’d lost one eye and his ears wasn't fluffy any more. He was old now and nobody liked him. The soldier was different. He was new, shiny and Will played with him every day. He was dressed in a captain’s uniform, so Will called him captain hero. The captain has a lot of clothes. He had a winter uniform and a summer uniform, he also had a big army coat with shiny buttons. He had other things too. He had a little jeep and a big army truck to drive around in. Captain hero was very lucky. At night, Will put captain away in the toy cupboard. He put him on the middle shelf with the books, puzzles and the games. Teddy and Captain hero often talked to each other in the cupboard. The captain liked teasing teddy. One night he said, ‘‘Why do you stay up there on the shelf? Why don’t you come down? I know why. It’s because Will doesn't like you any more. He likes me better. ’’ Then ted felt sad. He remembered the happy days a long time ago. He didn't know why Will had changed. He couldn't understand. So he just said, “six years ago, I was will’s special toy. He loved me before you were even born.’’ “Alright!” Captain hero said. “You don’t have to keep telling me. I know your Will’s first toy, but thing are different now. Everyone likes me, because I look much better than you do. You’re old, scruffy and skinny. I’m shiny and new and I've got lots of clothes. I've got a truck and a jeep too, and you haven’t.” “I know I haven’t, but I’m still as good as you are. I've got other things,” Ted said. The captain laughed, “Don’t be silly! What other things?” Ted tried to explain. “Well, I’m cuddly, and you’re not. You’re cold and hard.” Captain hero couldn't understand what Ted said. Captain hero said I want you to go away. One day Will’s mother cleaned the shelf in the cupboard, she put Captain hero on his bed frame for Will, she took Ted outside and threw him in the rubbish bin. It was too late for Will to get Ted of his mother, but Will still had Captain hero even though he was upset about Ted going. That’s the end of Ted.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!