My New Adventure

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

Just a year ago, I embarked on a magnificent journey that would change my life forever. On 23 January, 2014, I set foot on Australian land, coming from India to start a new life. It was the most thought provoking and the scariest thing I have done in life till date.
I landed in Sydney and visited my uncle who lives here since ten years, just for the second time. Since then he helped us get to the city that gave us entry into this wonderful country, Canberra.
Canberra was the first city I lived in as a permanent resident of Australia with an Indian citizenship. I enrolled into Canberra High and discovered what life had to offer me over here. I used to walk to school every day for fifteen minutes one way. The curriculum was completely different but the one that made my family very proud at the end of the year.
I entered that school and class as an unknown Indian boy come to Australia as a migrator and not knowing anything. Soon, I got some friends to help me out who became ones to remember for life. Through the year, I got recognized as the smart kid and started getting good results.
Along with the school, I had also enrolled into a junior soccer club namely ‘Belsouth Soccer club’. I was played in the center of the field and finished the season with six goals and thirteen assists.
I also entered a competition recognized as – ‘Education Perfect’. It was an excellent series challenging our knowledge in Languages, English, Mathematics, Science and Social Sciences. I won a gold award in Languages and Science. I did not enter Social Sciences. I won a bronze in Mathematics and won the Elite certificate in English being placed thirteenth out of twenty thousand other students.
When the year came to an end in Canberra High, I received an award truly I had never known about – ‘Dux of year seven’. When I was informed that I had achieved this award, I had no idea what that was. Later, I was explained that it was the highest scoring student overall in the year level. Along with Dux, I received most proficient in Mathematics, Language other than English (LOTE) and studies of society and environment (SOSE). I also received an achievement award in science, a medal for upholding CARES (Community, Attitude, Respect, Excellence and Safety) values, plus a plaque, $100 Dymocks gift card and a badge for Dux.
After that, I had to move to Melbourne which was very disheartening for me after I had an excellent year previously and had many friends and acquaintances. After all, it wasn’t so bad. Soon after arriving, I was again called the smart kid and received the position of class captain. Now, I am a student at Patterson River Secondary and hoping to have another exceptional adventure throughout the year.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!