Babysitting Gone Wrong

Gunfire. Loud and clear. Will Spaniard had been babysitting his little cousin, brother and his brother’s girlfriend, and decided to take them for a walk. But when the sound of gunfire rang throughout the deserted street of Brisbane, Will thought he had made a terrible mistake.

“What was that?” came the shaky voice of his Will’s cousin, Ellie.

“Sounded like a gunshot,” said Cameron, Will’s younger brother.

“Well whatever it was,” Will said, trying to sound calm and with authority, “we are going home now.”

Just as Will was about to turn around and lead his responsibilities home, blindingly bright head lights appeared over the rise ahead of them. The monotone hum of the engine grew increasingly louder, faster than it should’ve been. The car slowly turned to the right, jittering as it did so. But the problem was that it headed straight toward the group of teenagers.

The vehicle thundered relentlessly along the bitumen, ploughing straight for Will and his companions.

“Move!” Will shouted desperately, whilst grabbing Ellie by the shirt collar and yanking her roughly out of the path of the thunderous vehicle. “Cameron!” Will yelled again, almost instantaneously snapping Cameron back to reality. Will’s younger brother sprinted along the path way, pulling his girlfriend away from the path of the vehicle.

Will barely got out of the way as he dove like his companions, the sudden gush of wind whipping his clothes about. There was an almost boom as the car hit a brick wall, sending fragments of bricks flying through the air. Thin orange dust floated in the air, filling it like water in a jug. And almost suddenly, the world was silent again.

There was no sound. Nothing at all.

Will stood, briskly brushing the dust off his clothes. The others stood slowly after diving on the concrete. Will hesitantly took a step closer to the car, peering intently through the thickening dust to investigate the crash.

“Emily,” he said as calmly as he could, “call the police.” Cameron’s girlfriend instantly pulled her phone from her pocket and dialled triple zero.

“What are you doing?” Cameron asked Will harshly.

“Hello?” Will said into the thick cloud of dust, peering intently into the orange cloud. There was a low response, but it wasn’t speech. Somewhere in all that dust, someone’s life hung in the balance. “Hang on,” Will said soothingly. “We’re gonna get you out.”

The orange dust cloud cleared significantly, and Will saw the limp body of a man lying motionless in the driver’s seat with a bullet wound to his shoulder.

Will leaned hesitantly, warily on the door, fumbling for the handle. “Don’t worry,” he said soothingly. “You’re gonna be alright.”

Surprisingly, the door opened with ease and Will slowly, and as carefully as he could manage, pulled the injured man from the car.

Sirens could be heard in the distance, gradually growing louder and louder as the minutes ticked by. He had saved a life.



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!