The Old Fisherman

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

One cold late evening when the waves crashed against the shore and a Navy ship tooted its horn, a man was fishing. No one knew his name or where he lived. He fished there every night. No one fished on the jetty on Monday night, only the old fisherman, because the big fish would come in and break your lines. He was the only fisherman that had the strongest line. The fisherman wore a woolen top, a woolen jumper and a black leather jacket. He also had a beard as white as snow.

One Monday night the old fisherman was fishing and something was tugging on his line. It was a manta ray. He tried to bring it in but as he was doing this he fell into the deep, dark ocean. He splashed and shouted but no one could hear him.Suddenly he saw a beautiful lady. She had long, flowing, blonde hair that reached her waist and had little shells in it. She gave him a breathing necklace and said, “Follow me.”

She took the old fisherman to the sea floor. He saw lots of mermaids and mermen including Blondene the lady who saved him. Some mermaids had bright orange hair or jet black hair or hair just like Blondene’s hair. All had little shells in their hair.
Blondene said, “You are a merman now.”

He looked down at his legs and there was a tail. Now he lives on the sea floor with all the other mermaids and mermen. His name is now Prince Finn. So remember that every time you go to a beach or a jetty, keep your eye out for mermaids and if you are lucky enough you might see the old fisherman with a beard as white as snow.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!