The Sea

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

I cant turn back, i must fight for my life. I was swimming as fast as i could trying to escape the knife filled cavern that was charging towards me. I was tired, but i knew i couldn't stop otherwise it would be the end. I looked everywhere for a small spot to hide away, but there was nowhere in sight. I was thinking about my family and hoping they were alright. Why did i split up with them? I should have stayed and helped them get away, but i'm sure they are safe. Now that I've saved them it's time to save myself. I start darting left and right hoping to loose the beast. But no, it's still on my flipper. I dive down and up but i cant loose it, after what seemed like seconds a small cave appears in front of me, without thinking i swim into it. BOOM, the whole place shakes as the beast hits the cave. I turn and see that the animal, it is much bigger than me and could swallow me whole. It swims back and forth in front of the exit. This has given me a bit of time to rest, but i cant stay under much longer. After a minute or two the beast is gone. This is my chance, i swim out of the cave and dart towards the surface of the water. As i gasp for air i see something amazing, land! As i start swimming for the land, the beast is back for more! I swim as fast as possible towards the solid ground, and i use all my strength. The beast is right behind me but safety is right in front. I take two big strokes and i fling myself out of the water, just making it onto the island. It's over, i made it. All i do now is rest, listening. Then i here something i thought i might never hear again, my wife and kids are here. I then realized that i was on the island and so were my other seal friends, i was so happy as i lay, my children cuddle me and my wife lay beside me.
I'm home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!