Dungeon Delver

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

The girl ran into the blinding darkness. She didn’t know where she was going and she didn't care. She just needed to get out of there, and she needed to get out of there before things get ugly.
She sped along the hard mossy stone, each step pulsing jolts of pain through her legs. Her hair was drenched in sticky sweat, plastered to her scalp. Gasp Gasp Gasp. Her panting made puffs of cold smoke in the stale, stagnant air. Running through tunnel after tunnel, every opening seemed like the same black hole as before. The teenager slowed down, her feet heavy as boulders. Leaning back on an icy cold wall, she listened silently for her dangerous pursuer who was not far behind.

Sharp hungry teeth as large as daggers, long cutlass-like claws that screeched against the stony floor, the monstrous beast was basically a very angry mutated dog. Mortals called them ‘Werewolves’. The monster was wearing a mean smile, licking its cracked lips and drooling black liquid uncontrollably. The wolf thinks this is a game, and if it wins, it gets a nice delicious meal of fresh human flesh.

But then again, the girl was not human.

She dug her sweaty hand into her leather jacket, to check if her prized treasure was still there. She sighed thankfully as she felt her trembling fingertips touch the smooth surface of the Black Pearl. Slipping on her watch made of dark glass, she shouted confidently, “Listen up you furry freak!”
The werewolf turned sharply and glared its yellow eyes on the teenager, snarling.
“Yeah you, you were-wuss! I had enough running! You wanna play a game? ‘Cause I can play all night!” The girl yelled, motioning her hand as if to lure the vile beast in. The wolf roared in raging fury and cannoned straight at the girl.

Using her necromantic powers, she created a vibrating force-field around herself. The black liquid-like magic deflected the werewolf’s attack. Growling, the monster eyed the smiling girl through the transparent bubble of necromancy.
“You see, dog, I’m a necromantic sorcerer. My magic works off death, and by the looks of things, you’ve killed a lot of things here. So I thank you, Mr. Werewolf, for making my job a lot easier.” The teenager clicked her fingers and her magical shield transformed into icicles of darkness, the death spears pointing straight at the now defenceless werewolf.

As fast as lightening, the black blades soared through the air and stabbed the whimpering beast. Through her necromantic vision, the girl watched as small slithers of life slipped out of the werewolf’s heart one by one until none was left. She smiled to herself in satisfaction thinking that she can finally leave at peace, until she overheard growling from behind her. She spun around only to face seven pairs of gleaming yellow eyes filled with hatred.

The teenager wasn’t intimidated, she just grinned wider. She exclaimed cheekily, “Challenge accepted!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!