Keep Going

As the helicopter came landing in the Fleet Base East in Sydney, I held the necklace carrying the picture of my three year old son. My name is Ryan Kingston. I’m a sergeant in the Royal Australian Navy and I just came from Afghanistan. I’m going to burst into tears because I’m about to hold my three year old son for the first time. I stomp my foot on the Australian soil and hold it there for a short while so I can let the clean Australian air drift into my nose. I was in Afghanistan for 6 months. As the rotor blades of the helicopter slow down I see my wife holding my son walking towards me. I grab my son from her grasp and hug him as tight as I can.
As I walked into my sturdy one storey house I felt my miserable heart pumping as fast as a cheetah . The reason is that I lost my best and only mate in Afghanistan. He got shot by a sniper and on that day I thought I lost my life. But I didn’t stop there just because I thought I lost my life. I kept going because I knew I had a life to live even though he didn’t. It all started when Captain Lobo told us that we had to go to the city of Kabul. We flew in a helicopter and landed at 9:17 am. We landed on some hills with dried grass flying everywhere. Our mission was to rescue 8 hostages from the terrorists. I set up the equipment with my friend. We had 6 hours before the helicopters came back to pick us up. My friend, I and three other soldiers slid from the hills down onto the ashy concrete of the city. As I crashed in to the concrete hard, I could smell burning fire from the cars straight away. I saw my friend’s blonde hair already had some grime in it. It was already 10:43 am as we walked past the ruins of a demolished building. My friend whispered to me “I can’t wait to see my parents in two weeks and lay in the Aussie...“
A roaring noise cut off the last words, as if I was standing next to a rocket blasting off. Suddenly red covered my friends smiling face. He fell straight to the ground. “Oh no”, I didn’t think this day would come so early. I grabbed him from his waist and put him on my shoulder. As my allies fired at the sniper a small house about 15 metres ahead was opened and 8 people came running out screaming with their hands held high, screaming. I signalled them to come this way. The shooting stopped and I ran forward and grabbed a child who looked about 4 years old. The rest of the civilians kept running, I knew I was in danger of getting shot. As I ran behind the building our helicopter came into view.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!