X393

“We’re not going to get much help here,” sighed Vespera. Michelle ran her fingers through her hair. Of all the planets to crash on, it just had to be uncharted. The chances of them finding help was almost as poor as the chances of them leaving without it.
“Wonder what shot us down…” mused Michelle.
“No,” hissed Vespera, her long forked tongue flicking out of scaled lips, “They didn’t shoot us down. Look at this place. They wouldn’t have a high powered gun! You weren’t paying attention and crashed!”
“There was nothing on the radar,” Stated Michelle. Vespera huffed and turned her reptilian body away.
“Don’t worry, love,” cooed Michelle, “I’ll find a way. I always do, don’t I?” Vespera sighed and shrugged. Pulling out a small round device, Michelle scanned the area.
“There is a hub five blocks north from your current location!” sang the little digital voice, “Would you like directions?”

The hub was nothing more than a hut. It was almost barren.
“That’ll have to wait outside,” snapped the creature from behind the counter, pointing at Vespera, “We don’t allow them in here.”
“What did you just say?” boomed a voice from the doorway behind the counter.
“Mama!”
“I’m so sorry about them,” they cooed, shoving the child away, “My name’s Maricaus.”
“Charmed. I need to contact my supervisors. We’ve crashed not far from here and I need a mechanic.”
“My spouse is a mechanic. They can fix your ship if you can pay.”
“What currency do your machines take?”
“Galactic standard, or Abratt tokens,”
“Do any accept card?”
“The one on the end of the far left row does.”
Michelle marched down the aisles of machines. The only other person down there was a figure in a long black coat.
Michelle looked at the computer. It was ancient, flickering as if there were fireflies in the screen. Swiping her card, Michelle plugged in her birth code, X393. She heard Vespera talking and the cloaked figure leave.

Y147 WHY DO YOU REQUEST EXTRA FUNDING?
X393 OUR SHIP HAS BEEN DAMAGED. WE NEED REPAIRS TO CONTINUE THE MISSION.
Y147 PLEASE WAIT
Michelle thumped her fist on the console desk. I’m going to need them to give me double just to cover the costs of this call! she thought to herself as she swiped the card again.
Y147 EXTRA FUNDING WILL ARRIVE SHORTLY. CONFIRM?
X393 CONFIRM
Y147 DISCONNECTED…
Michelle spent most of the day getting her ship up and running. After a quick goodbye, Michelle and Vespera boarded. They began the take-off sequence. She didn’t notice the figure in the long coat climbing into the back hatch.
The figure pulled a small communication device out from under the cloak and connected to the hub.
47LP MISSION STATUS?
94QF FAILED.
47LP YOU HAVE UNTIL NEXT MOON CYCLE. DO NOT RETURN IF YOU FAIL AGAIN.
94QF DISCONNECTED…
They would not fail again. This time, the ship would go down, even if it meant they’d be going down with it.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!