The Rip

Excellence Award in the 'The Write Track 2015' competition

Whoosh!! An enormous wave lapped over me, leaving me spitting out salty water. Dark clouds loomed above, threatening to rain on me. I decided that it was my opportunity to go home but when I tried to swim out I got sucked in deeper. I twisted around and shouted for help but all I could see was a giant rip.
The water was now above my shoulders and was making me even more saturated. I rubbed my arms against my togs to keep warm but the goosebumps wouldn't leave. My heart pounded in my chest and I knew this may be the last day of my life.
By now it was about 7.00pm and I was still struggling for my life at Cable Bay. The clouds gave up and started pouring down, making me have an even slimmer chance of survival. Thunder cackled in the distance.
I turned around to see the rip heading towards me. I didn’t have much of a choice, so I dove under water and swam. I stuck down low searching for a big boulder. Once I had found one I quickly swam up for a breath. I couldn’t stay up as long as I could because the rip was hurtling towards me at full speed.
I gripped the coral as I was just about to lay down on the sand when it shifted. A sandy, brown coloured sting ray emerged from the sand, swaying its tail as it went. I slowly moved to the left to avoid getting stung. I was in need for a breath and was just about to pop up when the big rip passed over my head. Instantly my legs flew up and my hands were blistered and sore. I hung on, dying for a breath. Slowly the rip drifted away making me able to bury my feet back into the sand.
Now that the rip had gone, I swam up breathing in fresh air, feeling exhausted but relieved and happy that I had made it.
Moving slowly I kicked my legs and swam until it got too shallow. As I climbed the boulders all the coldness swept back into me. I jogged the rest of the way, happy to be alive and able to go home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!