Family Fractures

I was at the bus stop with my friend Johanna. Just like every other day. The next thing I knew I was in the middle of the road trying to stop an out of control car. I don’t remember much except the driver. It was my cousin, Evelyn. She had this smirk on her face like she’d just won something. Then, blackness.

My name is Anna and this is my story.

My dad died when I was two then my mum was in a car accident when I was 18. After that I moved in with Evelyn. She didn’t like me and I wasn’t her biggest fan. I didn’t realise how much Evelyn hated me until I saw her car heading towards me that day. It had been an ordinary day. I was catching the bus to work at the ice-cream factory. Evelyn and I had an argument in the morning about something or other. We did that a lot.

I walked onto the road hoping the car would stop. Then I felt pain. Everywhere.

Then my life was changed forever.

I thought I was in a white room. I could hear beeping. I could smell fish and chips. I heard a soft voice saying “everything’s going to be ok.’’ I tried to open my mouth but nothing came out. I tried to open my eyes but my lids were heavy, not moving. I wanted to ask this stranger so many questions but I couldn’t.

Each day I tried to open my eyes, but nothing. I stayed in this coma. Johanna came to visit every day. All she said over and over was “Please wake up, Anna”. It felt like months but now I know it was only twelve days.

The day I woke from my coma is stamped on my memory.

I heard footsteps, then felt a hand on my forehead. I wondered “Who is this?” I wanted to open my eyes so badly.

I croaked, “Who’s there?” and was surprised to hear my own voice. There was no answer just the hot hand on my head. I took a deep breath and forced my eyes open. The person I saw right in front of me was Evelyn.

I wanted to yell, “Why did you do this to me!? I know you didn't like me but running me over, Why?” It came out as a whisper.

She answered, “Why do you have such a good life? Why do you have so many friends?” Then she walked out.

I was shocked. For the whole three years of living with her she hardly every spoke to me. I never met any of her friends.

That very day changed my life. I left hospital and found somewhere to live. I felt a whole lot better about myself. I got an even better job at a lollie shop.

They say you can choose your friends but you can’t choose your family. I changed that when I chose to get rid of Evelyn.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!