Pain

“Ash, I need to go!” my sister whined through my closed door. I rolled over and pulled the blanket over my head. She flung the door open and jumped onto my bed.
“Get OUT!” I yelled. I’m her sister, yet I’m like her mum. I dragged my body out of bed and stumbled to my closet. Pulling on a pair of khaki jeans and a black t-shirt, I looked out to the mountains. Hohz was waking up and people were busy in their houses. Mum’s either working or at the pub, drowning her problems in vodka.

Turning around, I saw my sister, slouched against the doorframe. Kids here sometimes fought with siblings, but Halsey and I hated each other, everything caused a fight.
“If you have to go, GO!” I told her sternly,
“You have to walk me to school, Mum said!” Halsey sassed,
“Listen, I’m not walking you to school! Leave!” I barked at her. She turned on her heels and stomped out. A strange feeling came over me, something was beckoning me. I felt like I was being pulled outside. Combat boots hastily tied up, I ran until I was at the forest. I looked back, no-one was watching me, so I sprinted, as far as the dense foliage allowed.

I looked around and spotted something. I gingerly stepped over the forest floor. Reaching what I thought was a cave, I saw it was a whole in the rock wall. Although I was careful, I fell and slid all the way down the rock face, to a mossy area and a waterfall. It was enchanting, so beautiful. It was quiet, but not silent, the pool underneath the waterfall was black. It stirred and I froze. I saw a face rising to the surface. It had the same features but wasn’t human.

She spoke in a silky voice,
“I know what you want Ashlyn, freedom, yet a sense of belonging, love, yet be independent. You can have it. Take my hand.” it was blue, with pointed nails. She promised me happiness.

The water was cold, seeping into my skin. Her hands were around my neck, when I realised what I was doing. A huge shadow ripped through the trees, along with an almighty roar. Instantly, I was loose. Hauling myself as far from the pool as possible, I noticed that I was dripping with blood from my neck. Hearing the roar, mixed with screams made me alert. I was on my feet and running, faster than I ever imagined. Bursting through the trees, I stared straight ahead.

Hohz was in ashes and there was no sign of life. Something odd happened; I cried. The tears flowed and flowed. I couldn’t stop. My eyes pivoted to the mountains. A dragon was flying back towards them. I had never had such hatred for anything. Only then I realised how much my family meant. Walking to what remained of my house, I collapsed to my knees and screamed out to my family.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!