Family Troubles

The spiky trees scratched my sweaty, bleeding limbs as I ran from the fortress, and into the dense jungle that surrounded it. My lungs were already burning from the exertion, and I could barely see through the thick vegetation. I looked back; just to be sure the guards weren't following me. after a brief scan of the forest around me, and finding nothing suspicious, I leant against a tree, letting the exhaustion of the past hour wash over me. Allowing my thoughts to drift back to the conversation I'd had with my parents. My father and mother had called me into our private library, our usual meeting area. I'd walked into the spacious room, and sat down in a seat opposite my parents. "We have something we'd like to tell you", my mother had begun. Immediately I was put on edge. "You see, we'd like to discuss your future." she continued. I slumped in my seat. We’d had this talk many times before, and I was already sick of it. "We have recently found out about a company that could greatly benefit us if we joined forces. They have a daughter; she's rather pretty, only a year younger than you." My father persisted. I could see that they wanted me to show an interest in this girl, just like all the others. Growing bored, and angry of this constant topic, I could no longer conceal it. "I can't do this anymore!" I shouted, my shoulders shaking in rage. "I'm not interested in females! I wish you could just accept the fact! I'm gay! Okay!" I looked them both in the eye. "I'm gay." I said more quietly. My mother was looking at me with complete surprise and hurt on her face. I could see she was close to tears, and my father looked at me like I was an alien, as if I was completely unworthy of the family title. I had run from the room, tears flowing freely from my face, a huge burden had lifted from my shoulders. I had finally told them my darkest secret, and even if they hadn't taken it the way I’d hoped, I was still free. Fearing what they would do if I had stayed, I’d run, straight out the doors, running past guards as they received orders from my father to follow me. Outwitting them, I had stuck to the outskirts of the property, avoiding routine patrols, and slipping in to the thick bush land surrounding the Fortress. Jumping back to the present, I continued my path through the woods, and reached the other side. I hadn't put much thought into what I would do once I had escaped, I only knew that wherever I went from here, my destiny would forever be in my own hands.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!