Magic

Lily Leprechaun was climbing trees. Her purple and black dress and purple streaked hair swayed in the breeze. Her black eyes glinted maliciously when she reached the top, pulled out her wand and murmured an incantation. Then several yellow canaries erupted from the tip of it. “Lunch time!” cried her witch mother, Georgia, but she was oblivious to any other sound as she climbed down to meet her father, Vernon the vampire, at the foot of the tree.
Later, Lily called to her parents. “I’m taking the animals for a walk along the lakeside. I’ll be back for dinner.” She set off, wand in hand, towards her target location. Leon the lion and Tammy the tiger frolicked, and Sammy the snake slithered alongside her. They passed plants, and the only sound was the wind rustling leaves, birds twittering, and the occasional sigh of Lily, who loved living in the Amazon.
They reached the lake and Lily pulled out her spell book and sat down to practice her spells. Some leaves rustled behind her and her shoulders tensed. “Relax,” she murmured reassuringly to herself. “The only other people that know how to get in this far are Eloise and her gang, but they’re all terrified that they’ll break a nail. They’re chickens.”
“Oh! We’re not chickens. The only thing to be afraid of are snakes, lions and tigers,” said Talia’s voice, which shook. Lily must’ve jumped about a mile in the air.
“Snakes? Where?” yelled Veronica’s voice.
“Show yourselves!” cried Lily, now on her feet. “I’m armed!”
“Oh, you’re armed with a stick,” sneered Eloise.
“It’s not a stick, it’s a hawthorn and phoenix tail feather wand, you dolt,” replied Lily hastily.
“Whatever. Bye-bye now. Don’t bother keeping in touch!” Eloise’s eyes shined triumphantly.
“What the-?” the words had barely left Lily’s lips when Eloise stepped forward out of the shadows and pushed.
Lily groped for a savior, instead grabbing Eloise’s shirt. Eloise screamed, and then all sound was muffled and distant. The water was like ice on their warm skin; Lily closed her eyes so tightly that her eyelids could have torn. She thought the incantation, Fountainia, gripping her wand like it was her last chance of survival (which it was). She opened her eyes, which burned watery fire. Her lungs burst, and then there was air, lovely, fresh, breathable air….
“What was that?” Eloise yelled in shock.
“Well, you’re welcome. I saved your life. You owed me.” Lily’s hair rippled me menacingly.
“Thanks. Now – what was that all about?”
“I’m a – “Lily took a breath. “A witch.”
“Huh?” Eloise was startled.
“I can do magic spells, make potions. I’m particularly good at levitating, actually. Mum’s better, though.”
“Your mum’s a witch? What about Vernon?”
“Dad? No! He’s a vampire. He won’t bite anyone I like though. It’s me you need to worry about – I could turn you into a toad, if I wanted. I’m good at transfiguration.”
“Gulp”
“Friends?” laughed Lily.
“Sure, Just-“
“Yeah?”
“Promise I won’t become an amazing bouncing ferret?”
“I promise!” and they became friends forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!