Sad Joy

The cold chill s truck me as I stood out on a field were a white blanket of snow lay. Suddenly I felt a warm change across my shoulders and I looked up. For a while there was silence, "don't worry, you'll be alright." Uncle Joe's voice sounded soothing and I felt a calm wash come over me. We started trudging through the pure snow back up to uncle joe's house.

As we entered, the delicious smell of turkey filled the room and the air was warm and welcoming, I managed a smile. I knew it wouldn't be long until dinner, so I walked up the old wooden stairs which creaked with every step. I finally reached the top and that slight bit of joy I had felt melted like ice in the summer sun.

I walked slowly passed the tightly locked door. Anger and pain filled my mind, all I wanted to do was scream. I walked quickly until the end of the hall and slammed my door. My emotions were getting the best of me. I decided to sit on my bed. The soft woolen blanket made me feel at peace, I was calm again.

Before I knew it dinner was served. Turkey and the sweet smelling soup filled the room. Dinner was delicious. After I had finished I went out for my usual walk, but this time it was different. The feeling of emptiness filled my soul. I kept walking determined to get there that very place.

The cold air turned to ice, as I neared the gates tears filled my eyes. I stopped with a halt, frozen in my foot steps. Memories and joy flooded my mind. Unable to move, I suddenly felt something pushing at me. It pushed me closer to the gates and I found myself touching the cold metal, again that same push pushed me through the gates.

I felt like a zombie as I walked down the many rows of stone until, I saw it, the large, tall stone with a picture of him on it. My expression froze as I read aloud the very words "Phillop James." My heart skipped a beat as I ran, I ran passed the gates and finally I was back at uncle Joe's. I opened the creaky old door and again was greeted by the warm and welcoming house. The joy stopped and I suddenly felt unwelcome. "Come on over old boy" said uncle Joe, his voice still soothing. The joy started back up again and I felt a part of something, something bigger then Phillop. I put on a smile, but this time it was real.




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!