I Made Mum And Dad Disappear

“Piper!” mum yelled, “Have you done your homework or tidied your room?”
I sighed. I had the whole weekend to do my chores. It would be so nice to do things when I wanted!
I was watching my favourite T.V. show but this meant nothing to Mum. I could hear her making her way towards my room.
I picked up the remote to turn my show off just as Mum entered my room. I froze for a moment - What if I could control my mum with the remote?
Turning to Mum, I pressed mute. Suddenly she went silent but her mouth continued moving and her arms flapping around but with no volume. I pressed mute again and she started talking but this time I could hear her.
“…and if you think you’re going to Charlottes tonight without your homework done, you can think again” she rattled on.
Pointing the remote, I turned the volume up. Mum was so loud! As I turned the volume down Dad stormed upstairs to see what the commotion was all about. I closed my eyes, pointed the remote at Dad and pressed pause. Everything went silent so I slowly opened my eyes and Dad was frozen with his mouth wide open. So was Mum, with her finger pointed in my direction.
This is the best day of my life! I had always imagined what super power I would want…. strongest girl in the world… as fast as The Flash….but controlling my parents, just gold! It was time for me to do things my way.
I ran downstairs and opened the fridge to organise breakfast. Mmmmmm, chocolate for breakfast I thought to myself as I shoved chocolate into my mouth. Mum would be so annoyed.

Then an idea came to me so clearly. Why didn’t I think of this before?
I still hadn’t used the greatest button on the remote. I raced upstairs, pressed the button on the top left of the remote and turned Mum and Dad off. After all, I could always turn them back on again when I wanted them back.
I threw my arms in the air with excitement and SMASH, the remote fell to the ground. I picked it up and noticed the battery’s had fallen out and broken.
“Mum, can you get me some more batteries” I yelled downstairs.
Then I suddenly remembered, I had turned Mum off!
Think, Piper, THINK.
Grabbing my Furby, I opened the battery compartment and took two batteries out. I placed them in the remote.
Please work, please work.
I nervously pressed the ON button on the remote and waited. It did not work. I turned with tears in my eyes, they were gone forever! Suddenly through my blurred eyes I saw a finger pointing at me.
“…and I really mean it this time Piper” Mum said.
I ran up to Mum and threw my arms around her, planting kisses on her. Suddenly Mum and Dad were silent. Had I pressed mute again?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!