War

War will tear even the best of people apart. No one comes out of it the same. I wish I’d been a farmer, like the rest of my family. Instead, I’d gone to university to study chemistry, and got conscripted. Now I’m here, trying to liberate Jamestown with a bunch of other young men. I may be the best shot with a pistol in my division, but that doesn’t mean I want to be in the army.

The general keeps shouting at us to prepare for battle. I grab my two pistols, pull on my uniform, grab my helmet and board the nearest helicopter. It takes off after a few more men climb aboard. I grab a parachute and strap it on as the helicopter takes off. After a few minutes of flying, we’re above the drop zone. I check the straps of my parachute when I suddenly hear gun shots. Anti aircraft guns are firing at our helicopter. I jump out of the helicopter just as a bullet hits it and it explodes into flames midair. I plummet to the ground, hoping that I make it in one piece.

I open my parachute around 500 metres from the ground. I land in the thick of a bloody battle. I pull out my two guns and run in with my troops. I shoot people without hesitation, and dodge bullets with superhuman speed. I run into the enemies ranks, hoping to divide them. It backfires. I am shot in the stomach and I go flying into a ditch on the side of the battlefield. I watch the battle rage on. I watch men fall around me. I hear their sickening screams. Then, I see a man lying 5 metres away from me. I pull myself over to him with every bit of strength. He has pain in his eyes. I smile at him and he says, “Hello. I’m Ian.” I smile and introduce myself. “I’m Bryan.” I say. I look at his uniform. He’s one of the enemies. But he’s still human. Just like I am. I grab his hand and I smile at him. He smiles back. “How old are you?” I ask Ian. “23” he replies. A sad grin crosses my face. That’s even younger than I am, I think to myself. “We’re gonna make it Ian,” I tell him. Ian starts to cry, and so do I.

I see my life flashing before my eyes. I see my parents, my brother, my friends, and everything that I’ve ever loved. I think about how sad everyone back home will be when they hear the news. I think about my fiancée, and how we’ll never get married. My vision starts to blur. I see Ian’s face, and I say “Until the end.” He smiles and says “Until the end.” My vision darkens and I feel weak. I feel a weightlessness as I slowly drift up into the heavens.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!