Oblivion

I had to strain my eyes to adjust to the luminous forest surrounding me. It was pelting down rain, so I held onto the closest branch I could find as if it were a lifeline. The warm droplets falling into the grasp of my skin was astonishing. My surroundings made my past life seem incredulous. It took me a minute to figure out that I was on the edge of a cliff. I looked down, and it was a very, very long way to the bottom. But then, I couldn’t hold on any longer. My body forced me to let go of the lifeline, and I was falling down at the speed of light. It seemed like an eternity before I realised that there was no end to this fall. I looked down, and, sure enough, nothing. I felt oblivion consuming the entirety of my body. I just fell, and fell, and fell. The eternity when I fell ended when I landed; The rules of gravity, I guess. I landed with a soft thud on some more nothing. It was very frightening. Just sitting there… On a bunch of black nothing… Yeah, it’s nauseating. I looked around, there was a single chair floating on… on… I still can’t describe it. I guess just a bit more nothing. I never pictured what oblivion would look like, but now it seemed so… real. I decided to look straight ahead, not look down, left, right, or behind, just forward. I walked over to the chair and sat in it. A small, old-time looking T.V appeared in front of me. It turned on the millisecond I noticed it. Faces. They were faces I could have sworn I knew, but I couldn’t quiet distinguish them. One caught my eye the second I was seriously considering getting up and walking away. A baby girl, with my topaz eyes and my chocolate hair. She was waving at me, and that’s when the picture started getting pixelated. “Someone help me!” I yelled, but no one was there. I looked back at the T.V and there was a man with brown stubble on his chin. He reached out to me. I cupped my hand over my mouth and ran away. I tried to control my senses that were working overtime to improve themselves, but it didn’t work. I looked down, into the oblivion, and the baby’s face was there. I squeezed my eyes shut and tucked my chin into my knees. “Sarah.” someone said. I opened my eyes again, and the male face was there. “Huh?” I asked, my voice breaking. “It’s ok, Shelby’s here too.” he said. He picked up a baby from a pink cot, and gave her to me. “Shelby?” I asked, puzzled. The familiar face had to be my daughter, the other was seemingly my husband. “What happened?” I asked, caressing the newborn on the head. “It’s ok, Sarah. You did it. We did it. You gave birth to Shelby.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!