Was War An Honour?

Coming home from war, to be reunited with loved ones, they kept you alive, they’re the reason you’re here, you’ve left the battlefields, you’re alive, you’re alive, you keep telling yourself, you’re one of the lucky ones, one of the fortunate ones, but there is no satisfaction in your win, there are no winners, only survivors, the ringing of the bombs is still in your ears, images flash over your now sullen and glazed eyes, is this your honour you wanted?
Will never be the same, doesn’t matter what happens, my life will have always ended at 17, the day I signed up, life will not have its colour nor it’s joy, I am a dead man walking, where’s the honour in that?
Seeing family, friends, tears running down their checks, relief on their faces, they can see I’ve changed, father thinks I’m a man, mother just wants her little boy back, I can’t help everyone but my girl, my girl, she knows me, she knows, and I know that if I’m with her we’ll be ok, I'll be ok... Do you think it was an honour? Do I think it was an honour?
No, it wasn’t an honour, serving your country.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!