Bad Day

Today was going to be a bad day. I just knew it. I woke up this morning with messy hair and I looked out at the cold and gloomy day ahead. It was going to rain today despite the weather. I walked to the bathroom to wash my hair. I turned on the shower and put my hand under the tap. I froze. Every time I changed the tap it was cold water, so I skipped having a shower and brushed through my hair instead of washing it. My hair was so knotty that it took me ten minutes to brush through. I put on my winter uniform and headed out the doors towards the bus stop. I waited three minutes until the bright yellow bus came around the corner to pick me up. The bus stopped in front of me and I stumbled into the bus. I sat down a few seats behind the front seats. There wasn’t many people on the bus, maybe five or six. I am the last one to hop on the bus until we get to school. I stared out the window for a while and then the bus suddenly stopped. I jerked forward, hitting my head on the seat in front of me with a thud. After a second of dizziness I gathered my bearings and looked around the bus to make sure everyone else was ok, no one was on the bus. I turned towards the front and the driver wasn’t there either. Where had everyone gone? Maybe I am hallucinating, but I wasn’t. I opened the bus door and walked out into the cold rain. No one was outside and the bus didn’t stop at school.

“Where am I?” I say aloud to no one. I look up and down the road to see if we were anywhere near the school, but all I could see was trees lining one side of the road and the shore on the other. I turned towards the ocean and saw smallish waves out at sea, but as they got closer they grew higher and higher every second. They were menacingly slow but massive. All I could think about now was how good it was that I was on a cliff that hung high over the beach and I knew I would be safe from a tsunami. Then while looking at the beach I noticed some figures running away from the ocean like cats running from sprinklers. They were screaming at the top of their lungs to someone closer to the cliff, but I couldn’t understand what they were saying.

“Ts…a…i.” Is all I understood. Until they got closer I understood what they were saying.

“Tsunami” they yelled. Then the waves crashed down all along the beach and swept them away never to be seen again. On the news that night they said there had been an earthquake off the west coast shore of Japan and I knew I had witnessed the tsunami.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!